Abu Simbel Temple
The Ancient Egyptians mastered the water purification process known as coagulation as early as 1,500 BC. Today, coagulation is defined as the process used to neutralize charges and form a gelatinous mass to trap particles thus forming a mass large enough to settle or be trapped in the filter. In Ancient Egypt, people placed alum compounds to separate particles and remove impurities from the water.
The Ancient Egyptians used the water purification method to get clean water.
Ancient Egypt was a country primarily located in North Africa and situated in the place that is now the country Egypt. Ancient Egypt is referred to as one of the four greatest ancient civilizations, with the other three are ancient China, ancient Babylon, and ancient India. Ancient Egyptian civilization occurred in approximately 3,100 BC, with the political unification of Upper and Lower Egypt under Menes, and ended with the death of Cleopatra VII in 20 BC. In general, the history of ancient Egypt occurred as a series of stable kingdoms, separated by periods of relative instability known as Intermediate Periods: the Old Kingdom of the Early Bronze Age, the Middle Kingdom of the Middle Bronze Age, and the New Kingdom of the Late Bronze Age.
Geographically, it concentred along the lower reaches of the Nile River, the longest river in the world. Since Egypt is about 97% desert, the Nile River is an extremely important source of water in this country both in the ancient and present time. Flowing north through Egypt and into the Mediterranean Sea, the Nile River divided Ancient Egypt into two regions, Upper Egypt and Lower Egypt.
The map of Ancient Egypt
The Ancient Egyptians’ inventions and technology had a profound impact on many civilizations to come. The many achievements of the ancient Egyptians include:
- The quarrying, surveying, and construction techniques that supported the building of monumental pyramids, temples, and obelisks;
- A system of mathematics,
- A practical and effective system of medicine, irrigation systems, and agricultural production techniques,
- The first known planked boats,
- Egyptian faience and glass technology,
- New forms of literature, and
- The earliest known peace treaty made with the Hittites, etc.
Significantly, the Egyptians created their own system of writing, which is called hieroglyphics. A hieroglyphic is a drawing or symbol that represents a word or sound. Although most ancient Egyptians didn’t know how to write and scribes, the officials knew how to write and were highly valued for their knowledge. By writing, Ancient Egyptians were able to communicate effectively, record information, and pass down their history.
Detailed location map of Modern Egypt in Africa
- Ancient Egypt. (2021, March 28). Retrieved March 28, 2021, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egypt
- Detailed location map of Egypt in AFRICA: Egypt: Africa: Mapsland: Maps of the world. Retrieved March 28, 2021, from https://www.mapsland.com/africa/egypt/detailed-location-map-of-egypt-in-africa
- FOCUS Online. (2015, June 10). Pyramiden – Bilder – Archäologie. Retrieved March 28, 2021, from https://m.focus.de/wissen/mensch/archaeologie/aegyptische-bauwerke-pyramiden_did_42275.html
- Foundation, C. (2016, June 30). 12 foundation. Retrieved March 28, 2021, from https://www.ck12.org/user:yxblcmtpbnnaz2nib2uudxm./book/giles-county-sixth-grade-social-studies/section/3.6/
- Admin. (2020, December 19). A map of Ancient Egypt. Retrieved March 28, 2021, from https://worldmap-64870f.netlify.app/616-a-map-of-ancient-egypt.html
- The River nile’s GREATEST attractions from Aswan to LUXOR: EGYPT Tours, Aswan, Egypt. Retrieved April 27, 2021, from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/428967933260938962/
- MAMcIntosh. (2018, February 24). Beyond hieroglyphs: The art and architecture of Ancient Egypt. Retrieved April 27, 2021, from https://brewminate.com/beyond-hieroglyphs-the-art-and-architecture-of-ancient-egypt/
Lingkun Chen, Undergraduate Student